Monday, February 8, 2010

While cleaning my newly painted room with my shop vac i got soot on the wall from the vac. how can i get itoff

soot is from an oil fired heater that we cleaned. the only thing that got onto the wall was what was blown on through the filter.While cleaning my newly painted room with my shop vac i got soot on the wall from the vac. how can i get itoff
I was told by a professional cleaning company that you should never attempt to remove soot. All you will do is smudge it around. They have special chemical sponges just for that purpose. I'd call a company that cleans up after fire damage and they'll probably sell you a sponge. I tried cleaning up soot after having puff back from a woodstove and all it did was smear it more on the walls.While cleaning my newly painted room with my shop vac i got soot on the wall from the vac. how can i get itoff
Try baking soda and water. Or one of the orange oil cleaners.
clean, seal, repaint
Try a cleaning product called TSP - it works great on tough stuff like that. However, you didn't mention what kind of paint you used on your walls, if you used latex flat for example, I don't know how well you'll be able to clean it as flat paint firstly doesn't wipe down well, and secondly can't be scrubbed. If you used glossy or an oil based paint you'll have better luck. I think the best idea though would be to wipe it down the best you can and touch up if you have any leftover paint. good luck!





* you can get TSP at most drug or hardware stores.
I don't know for sure if this will work, but try one of those Mr. Clean Erasers. I've used them to get crayon off walls, scuff marks off floors, etc. I've got 3 kids so you can imagine the stuff I've got to clean! So far, I haven't found anything that thing won't take off! Worth a try! Good luck!
Well if you used latex paint (glossy) then it should be easy to wipe things off. Soot is sort of oil-based so I'd use some diluted Dawn and a sponge.
Soot should come off with warm soapy water.

No comments:

Post a Comment