Thursday, February 25, 2010

I want to redo my bathroom, and it has painted walls.?

I want to add ceramic (12'; by 12'; ) tiles but am unsure if I can just place them over the existing walls.





Any help with this...?I want to redo my bathroom, and it has painted walls.?
if the walls are sound you should be able to go right over the paint.here is a good site to check out


http://www.thetiledepot.biz/guide_wall_t鈥?/a>I want to redo my bathroom, and it has painted walls.?
Yes, you can tile over painted walls. You need to make sure it is solid and will bond well. If the paint is pealing or there is mold, etc, you need to remedy that first. But if the location is drywall and flat, then sure. Now if the location is going to receive excess moisture, then the drywall needs needs to replaced with green board or backerboard. And in a shower, I don't think that applies here, you need a moisture membrane like Kerdi-Mat. Generally, I use mortar for everything, but if dry, and I can't stress the word DRY enough, you can use a tile mastic. But if in doubt, use mortar. Just noticed, you have 12'; tile. Stick with mortar for the whole project.





You may want to contact tile wholesaler, if special conditions, but I've set literally 100's of thousand sq.ft of tile and hundreds of bathrooms. Tile over drywall is fine, if dry.
Rough up the surface with 80 grit sandpaper, wash with TSP or equivilent and let dry thoroughly. I would use smaller tiles in the four to six inch range and use double duty tile adhesive. If you have any doubts, try a couple test tiles. Let them dry and pull them off to check adhesion. Hope this helps.
Nope you can't just tile over painted surfaces. Go to one of the home improvement store, home depot, Lowe's etc. Ask the people in the tile department what you need to do.


Here is the jest of what needs to be done, you must put down backer board of some sort and screw it to the drywall and into the hidden studs


The tite gets laid on the backer board. Also called cement board
Best thing to do is to go to Lowe's, they can help you better there, but I believe you can put tiles over pained walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment