Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Painting walls inside, Primer?

I haven't really ever painted before but do inside walls need primer before painting?Painting walls inside, Primer?
If the surface is clean and in good condition and has paint on it and the color change is small you don't need primer.





If you rub your hand on the surface and the color comes off on your hand use primer.





If you are covering a bright color with a light color primer will help keep the color from bleeding through.





If there were smokers in the house I would clean and prime before painting.Painting walls inside, Primer?
Nah. But then maybe. It really depends on the wall. The majority of walls do not need primer first. Unless it is a dark color you are trying to paint over. Even for that I use gray paint as it covers it on the first coat usually then paint with the new color.





The only time I have used primer in any house I have lived in (and I have lived in a lot) was when I was painting paneling. Paint stores will often tell you to prime first..keep in mind they are trying to sell paint... LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment