Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I tried to clean my wall with a damp paper towel but my paint started rubbing off like soggy paper?

my house is only a few years old and I got it brand new so I know they didnt put up wall paper. My guess is probably cheap paint with no primer. Is their any kind of small fix to this or do I have to sand down primer and re paint the whole wall?I tried to clean my wall with a damp paper towel but my paint started rubbing off like soggy paper?
welcome to the quality that is a new house.


look around you...everything you see was done by the lowest bidder.


Gosh, it makes me want a shiny new house too.I tried to clean my wall with a damp paper towel but my paint started rubbing off like soggy paper?
if the paint rubbed off, it was flat paint. repaint it using low-gloss paint. that way, when dirty, it can be washed down without wiping off or ruining it.
Some modular homes only have primer on the walls and sometimes none on the ceiling or it could be a flat latex paint which is non washable. Best bet if you want to wash walls regularly is to repaint with a good grade satin or semi gloss latex paint
what you have is buidlers grade paint,ive sprayed thousands of homes and it is highly unlikely any primer was used,you can not wash the cheap flat paint,if painting the walls is not in the buget ask the builder for the type of paint used and touch up instead of cleaning,use a whizz or nine inch roller and try to feather it in,or if you can do room by room as follows..what you need to do is apply 2 coats of a good latex paint,either eggshell or if you prefer flat use matte finish ill recommend benmoore regal eggshell ,matte or semigloss in kitchens and baths,,or sherwin williams superpaint..ben moore has a new product called Aura which is supposed to cover in one coat but needs to be applied by professional for best results,also sherwin williams has duration interior ,both are very scrubbable and great protection,personally i woulg go with the 2 coat process so you can check for imperfections and spackle touch up as necessary,remember to re-prime over spackle spots before final coat,ceiling and trim should cover fine with one coat if your going white over white,and if the ceilings look ok id leave them alone,just make sure you have touch-up in case of a roller bump on the ceiling ..good luck 30 year painter Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment